Step 1: Submit an online application with following materials:
- Letter of support from the primary faculty advisor
- Letter of support from Berlin faculty member who has agreed to serve as both local host and a member of the student’s thesis committee
- Statement describing the potential benefit of their research and professional development
Please note: Allow 30 days for the application to be processed and approved by the Steering Committee. Students will be notified via email of acceptance. Only after acceptance will students complete steps 2 - 4.
Step 2. Apply for passport (Passport paid by the IRES program/ contact program coordinator):
Routine passport processing is currently estimated to take from 4 to 6 weeks. Please allow sufficient time for the application to be processed, which may mean applying before you receive notification of acceptance.
- There are two ways to complete application Form DS-11 (First-time applicant) or DS-82 (Renewal applicant):
- Fill out the passport application online and then print it.
- OR –
- Download application Form DS-11 or DS-82 in PDF format, print a copy and complete it offline. Use black ink to complete the form and write as legibly as possible.
Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
- Collect your supporting documents
- Citizenship evidence
- You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f)
- If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
- Get your photo
Photo can be taken at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart and The UPS Store. You need one 2" by 2" color passport photo
- Submit a color photo, taken in last 6 months
- Use a clear image of your face. Do not use filters commonly used on social media.
- Have someone else take your photo. No selfies.
- Take off eyeglasses for your photo.
- Use a plain white or off-white background
- Submit your completed Application
- Durham County Register of Deeds: 201 E. Main St., Durham, NC 27701
- OR -
- Durham MPO: 323 E. Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC 27701
- You may be eligible to apply in person at a passport agency if you are traveling soon. See Get a Passport in a Hurry for more information
- Submit receipt for passport fee to Natasha Williams for reimbursement.
Step 3. Travel
- Airfare will be booked and paid by Duke staff assistant.
- Housing will be provided by Berlin faculty.
- Daily meal stipend provided by the IRES program.